GET READY TO CHANGE YOUR IDEAS ABOUT ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES
Dan Dagget will give you good reason to…
“Dan Dagget is a ‘must-hear’ for anyone who cares about this magnificent land that we inhabit. Whether you are a rancher, environmentalist, farmer, gardener, nature lover, meat eater, or vegan, Dan’s message of sharing, healing and action is as good as public speaking gets.”
Courtney White, Executive Director , The Quivira Coalition, Santa Fe, New Mexico
“In 24 years of keynotes at the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, Dan Daggetʼs presentation at the 2008 Gathering was the best weʼve ever had.” Waddie Mitchell, cowboy poet and one of the founders of the annual National Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, Nevada.
FEW SPEAKERS WILL CHALLENGE YOUR PRECONCEPTIONS SO EFFECTIVELY
In Dan Daggetʼs 30-plus years as an environmental activist he has worked with some of the most radical environmental groups and some of the most conservative. Dagget started out fighting coal strip mines in southeastern Ohio, then he moved to Arizona where he worked to designate wilderness, fought to increase protection for mountain lions, and helped initiate a campaign to ban uranium mining in the vicinity of the Grand Canyon. His involvement in that latter campaign included helping to organize some of the first direct actions of Earth First!. In 1992 he was designated one of the 100 top grass roots activists in the United States by the Sierra Club.
Since those early radical days, Daggetʼs approach has changed. ”In thirty years of activism,” he says. “the most impressive environmental successes I have encountered have been achieved by private individuals operating according to the principles of conservatism. In each of those cases individual initiative, personal accountability, the free market, and rewards for results were more effective at saving endangered species, healing ecosystems, and restoring natural function than the tools of contemporary liberal environmentalism — regulation and protection.
That realization convinced Dagget of the need for a conservative alternative to liberal environmentalism. “Liberals deal with problems by applying policies–a living wage, affirmative action, universal health-care. Conservatives, on the other hand, work to create a situation in which people can use their creativity and initiative to produce a product for which there is a demand and, therefore, a reward. An environmentalism based on conservative principles would make determining success and allocating reward a matter of achieving results not applying policies.”
Dan Dagget may be contacted regarding presentations at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dan Dagget Books and Presentations
Dan Daggetʼs newest book — Gardeners of Eden, Rediscovering Our Importance To Nature has been called “the most important environmental manifesto since Aldo Leopoldʼs Land Ethic,”
His first book, Beyond The Rangeland Conflict, Toward a West That Works was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize and has been called one of the classics dealing with environmental issues of the American West..
The content of these books, combined with a speaking style that has been called “as good as public speaking gets,” has made Dagget a speaker in high demand to a diversity of audiences:
▪ • 2012 Society for Range Management, Arizona Section Annual Conference, Tucson
▪ 2010 EquiKnox Lecture at Knox College Galesburg, Illinois
▪ 2010 Congress on Western Rangelands — concluding keynote
▪ 2009 Working Landscapes Seminars at several venues in Northern California
▪ 2008 Keynote at the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Elko, Nevada
▪ 2006 Sun Valley Sustainability Conference — keynote
▪ The State of the Rocky Mountain West at Colorado College— keynote
▪ The First National Conference on Grazing Lands— keynote
▪ Bioneers — keynote and workshops
▪ Quivira Coalition Annual Conference — several times
▪ California Rangeland Conservation Association— keynote
▪ California Native Grasslands Coalition— keynote
▪ Society for Range Management, Arizona Section Annual Conference — keynote
▪ PERC * National Woolgrowers Association — keynote
▪ Sierra Nevada Deep Ecology Institute
▪ The Nature Conservancy
▪ Sierra Club
▪ The Colorado Cattlemenʼs Association
▪ The Arizona Cattle Growers * The Garden Clubs of America
▪ People for the West
▪ Universities of Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Boise State, Colorado State. Chico State, CA, University of California, Berkeley, Cal Poly, Humboldt State, Northern Arizona University, Colorado College
▪ Malpai Borderlands Group
▪ The Thatcher School at Ojai, California
▪ and many more.